Tuesday 12 May 2009

Too much BLING?



For some unknown reason, I seem to like the word "bling". I have just read this article about one police force in England warning the general public not to wear too much "bling".
As I like wearing a bit of bling on occasions even in the garden (cheap costume jewellery from second-hand shops, I hasten to add!), would I be stopped by the Gloucestershire Constabulary if I happened to be walking around Gloucestershire in my usual attire?? An intriguing question.

Have a look at this Youtube video advocating the sale of "Bling" jewellery. I think you will get the meaning of "bling" if it is a new concept for you!



Is Big Brother watching YOU?

I don't know about you, but the story above does seem excessively OTT (Over The Top). Does living in England now involve you watching over every citizen and encouraging a world of snoopers, a world of secret surveillance, a "spy on your neighbour" society?? It used to be like this in the former Stasi state of GDR, where I lived for one year in 1982. I am still patiently waiting for information regarding whether I was surveilled during my time there......


1984 by George Orwell is an amazing book full of prophetic glimpses into our future and actual present. I was fascinated by it when I read it for the first time as a teenager. It seemed like a surreal society back in those days. However, I feel a lot of his vision is indeed true today and I think we are getting closer and closer towards an "Orwellian" society. Do you my readers, have any thoughts on this?

No comments: